I feel kinda bad about this one as I had asked Nicola over at Wots for Lunch for a post 2 weeks ago and have only just gotten around to it. @ weeks ago my world collapsed a little as my work computer crashed hours before deadline and the Friday after that I was frolicking with goats at Fairview.
I didn’t want to do a rushed post because Nicola deserves more then that. another Food24 original, Nicola has always impressed me with her beautifully packed lunches. No matter how much I try I can never replicate and mine always look like a sad mockery of hers. As a designer I really appreciate creativity in every day things and Nicola really brings that into her food. If I had to open a lunch box with her creations at work every day my days would be filled with smiles. So without further ado, I bring you the Bento Master 🙂
- fresh ginger – about 5cm long
- salt – enough to sprinkle over slicked ginger
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar and
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Peel the ginger and thinly slice using a mandoline or vegetable peeler.
- Sprinkle slices with salt and leave in a bowl for an hour or so.
- Drain the slices of ginger and pat dry to remove any excess salt.
- Gently heat the vinegar and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar and sugar solution over the sliced ginger and leave to cool.
- Once cooled store in an airtight container in the fridge until needed.